(Photo: Workers prepare to remove a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee from Robert E. Lee Park in Dallas, Texas, on September 14, 2017.)
In 2014, Aisha Harris posted this great article. “Let’s Fix Black History Month“. Here’s the outline of her proposal.
- Tip #1: Go beyond the basics…Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X, Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, etc.
- Tip #2: Don’t just “celebrate” Black History Month. Confront past and present injustices.
- Tip #3: If you must commercialize Black History Month, at least be thoughtful about it.
- Tip #4: As an adult, make an effort to learn something new about the black community or experience.
- Tip #5: Repeat 1-4 all year long.
Action – Watch this amazing video (Tip #2 and #4)
Today, we’re re-posting this video with Jeffery Robinson, the ACLU’s top racial justice expert. He discusses the history of Confederate symbols across the country and outlines what we can do to learn from our past and combat systemic racism. He is an AMAZING SPEAKER and the video is filled with historical film clips.