One concrete way to help green card holders become safe in Trump-America is to help those who qualify (green card for 5 years, or if married to a US citizen, 3 years) take the next steps to become citizens as quickly as possible.
Every last Sunday of the month, local immigration lawyers and volunteers from Indivisible (Ventura, Conejo, Ojai, Grassroots Ventura), Ventura County Legal Aid, El Concilio Family Services, CLUE, SEIU, Buen Vecino, DSA and amazing community members, come together under tents at the Oxnard Community Marketplace at Oxnard College to provide free assistance to those needing to complete applications for citizenship, DACA and green card extensions, selective service and voter registration forms.
What we need:
#1 – Volunteers at the Legal Aid clinic itself: those who can speak Spanish are especially helpful, but all volunteers who are patient, attentive to detail and able to sit comfortably for the couple of hours an application can take are welcome. Come to a training at 8:30 to learn how to fill out a citizenship form from one of our amazing volunteer lawyers.
#2 – Volunteers who will print out and post our informational posters.
Please post these in laundromats – public and in apartment buildings (a lot of people spot them there), schools, restaurants, churches, grocery stores, employee break rooms, school lunch rooms, health clinics, dormitory bulletin boards, near vending machines. They can be posted OUTSIDE Ventura County, as well. We turn nobody away.
You never know who will be able to use this information.
- We’ve helped people from all over the world.
- Many citizens have green-card-holding older relatives who have never applied for citizenship because of difficulties with English. They don’t know that they could qualify to take the verbal test in their own language.
- If the green card holder is 50, with a 20-year-old card, they can take the verbal test in their own language.
- If the green card holder is 55, with a 15-year-old card, they can take the verbal test in their own language.
- If the green card holder is 65, with a 20-year-old card, they can take the verbal test in their own language and only have to study 20 citizenship questions..
Here’s our latest poster (12/10/18) for download and printing.
Before posting, please CREASE the horizontal dotted line a few times and CUT the vertical dotted lines to create a tab fringe. Then PULL (1) off, like this, to give people permission.