On December 12, Alabamians will go the polls to elect their next Senator. And there could not be a clearer choice in the race: a bona fide progressive candidate, Doug Jones, or disgraced, Steve Bannon-endorsed judge, Roy Moore, who is further to the right than any Republican currently in the Senate.
Like so many of the special elections this year, this race is crucial for progressives to win. Betsy DeVos was confirmed in a tie-breaker vote. Neil Gorsuch’s nomination was incredibly close. We beat back the repeal of healthcare by one vote. Gaining a Senate seat would turn narrow losses into likely victories, and put pressure on Republicans who may waver on important bills in the future. Look at the losses shown on Code Blue’s Daily Action Items… Donte Tanner lost by 115 votes and Shelly Simonds lost by 12.
Jenifer Lewis has a message for Alabama’s younger voters. #Vote1212
Find your polling place at
He’s an inappropriate candidate not JUST because he allegedly stalked and molested teenage girls…
Roy Moore in 2011: Getting rid of amendments after 10th would ‘eliminate many problems’ (CNN)
He believes the teaching of evolution causes evil, and not, say, free will…
He’s a birther, thinks 9/11 happened because we distanced ourselves from God, and a bunch more craziness…(politico)
“I want to see virtue and morality returned to our country and God is the only source of our law, liberty and government.” That’s a problem, not just because he doesn’t “celebrate all religions” equally… (WaPo)
“In 2014, he went so far as to suggest that the First Amendment applies only to Christians.” “In February, several months after being suspended from court for defying federal orders on same-sex marriage, Moore appeared on the radio show of a pastor who has claimed the Bible calls for the death penalty for gay people.” (HuffPo)
Helping from far away or in Alabama…
#1. Help support Doug Jone’s campaign.
- Donate directly here.
- Donate to this texting project targeting “inactive” voters in Alabama.
- Donate to VoteRiders, organization focused on providing every voter with voter ID assistance and information
MAKE A PRO JONES VIDEO Alabamians or Alabama ex-pats preferred:
ACTIVATE YOUR FRIENDS Use VoterCircle: https://votercircle.com/c/elizabeth…
DONATE to WOKEVOTE: https://www.wokevote.us/donate/ working to boost voter turnout in Alabama
#2. Do people you know have questions? Help them get the information they need!
- What kind of ID do they need?
- What if they don’t have ID?
- Need help getting your ID?
- How do I respond to questions as to how they should vote?
- What if they don’t know where their polling place is?
- What if they’re not sure of their present registration status? Or they’ve moved?
- What if they need an absentee ballot? Watch this video. Deadline is 5 days before the election.
- What about people who’ve been convicted of a felony? Here’s a great toolkit to help.
- This site can also be used find polling place and other info. Please share this site far and wide: https://myinfo.alabamavotes.gov/VoterView/Mobile.do
#3. People can’t vote if they can’t get to the polls!
Transportation to the polls is a HUGE issue in Alabama.
Donate to Allied Progressive Front’s Transportation for Voters campaign!
APF is raising funds to pay for transportation – large buses and smaller buses/vans to aid Alabama’s Democratic Party leaders in counties across the state in their efforts to transport voters to the polls on election day, Dec 12th.
10 buses = 3,350 more Democrats to the polls!
25 buses = 8,375 more Democrats to the polls!
40 buses = 13,400 more Democrats to the polls!
In talking to organizers in small towns and rural areas, APF has also identified a need for printed flyers for canvassing and TEMPORARY HOUSING for VISITING VOLUNTEERS in some Alabama counties. If you can help at all with the housing problem please contact email@example.com APF is trying to help them pay for Air B&B’s or hotels where their visiting volunteer canvassers will share lodgings. Grassroots doesn’t get more basic than what APF is trying to provide.
(Update 12/10: they are at $23,800 of their $20k fundraising goal! ALL additional funds will be donated to the Alabama Women’s March!)
#4. Finished – Thanks to all who wrote postcards! Over 220,000 postcards were send out! Stay tuned for the next special election challenge!
(Updated 12/3 – over 1000 cards completed and mailed from Ventura County Indivisibles!)
Postcards To Voters is the real deal. Everyone likes a decorated postcard!
In Ventura, you can join postcard-writing parties. Click here for details. More times and sites are being arranged. Stay tuned for updates.
If you’d like to participate by yourself, or start postcard parties with your neighbors and friends: Text HELLO to 484 ASK ABBY (484 275-2229). Receive talking points and addresses. Write and send your postcards. Get Started Today! To join, you may also email: firstname.lastname@example.org
#5. Send Texts to Voters.
Sign up here for the Indivisible text bank: http://www.indivisible.org/gotv-alabama/
- Indivisible.org has set up a text-banking program where Indivisibles anywhere can help our Alabama groups get out the vote for this important election.
- What: Indivisible text-banking from California
- Where: Anywhere! You just need two spare hours, a comfy chair, and a computer or iPad.
- When: 12/2, 12/3, 12/9, 12/10, 12/11, and 12/12, from 9am to 9pm CT every day
- Who: Indivisible groups across the country and volunteers like you!
Sign up here for the Doug Jones campaign: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeg9seiN6-Tcwqm2DsSVqC3SR5Wd0JdoLTUYmhFnFfkS-yP2Q/viewform
Sign up here for “Open Progress” & “Red2Blue” campaign: https://openpr.gg/a/d8893ebc
#6. Make Phone calls to Voters.
- For nervous callers…we’re only calling Democrats, to remind them of the special voting date and to encourage.
- Sign up to phonebank for Doug Jone’s campaign here. (works via Hubdialer system). Phone Banking will be available Tuesdays 11/28, 12/5 and then GOTV Sat 12/9, Sun 12/10, Mon 12/11 & Tues 12/12 before election day.
- To contact his compaign, email email@example.com
- There is also a separate phonebanking request from INDIVISIBLE ALABAMA targeting Lee and Montgomery counties. “Their need is immediate.” https://actionnetwork.org/events/virtual-phone-banks-for-lee-county-and-montgomery-county-senate-district-26?source=direct_link
- Indivisible has set up a text banking program where California members and others can help our Alabama groups get out the vote for the December 12th election.
Where: Anywhere! You just need two spare hours, a comfy chair, and a computer or iPad.
When: 12/2, 12/3, 12/9, 12/10, 12/11, and 12/12, from 9am to 9pm CST every day.
We can be the difference. Sign up for a volunteer shift now.
- The NAACP has created phonebanks which will allow you to contact African American voters in urban Alabama as well as the rural “Black Belt”.Let’s light up those phones for Doug Jones this week!
Notes for #5 and #6:
- “I know you’re a reliable/consistent voter” and
- “We rely on reliable voters like you” and
- “What time of day are you going to vote?” (“it helps us plan traffic flow, interpret crowd numbers, keep up with poll staffing, etc…”)
If you live in Alabama…
#8. Give a ride/Get a ride!
Do you need help getting your ID ready for the eletion?
Can you give a ride to someone else?
– Email to: rides@dougjonesforsenate (or make a donation)
– Click here for the local carpoolvote.com chapter.
– Email Rides@dougjonesforsenate.com to volunteer to give rides
Do you need a ride?
– Click here for your local Democratic Rep.
– Click here for the local carpoolvote.com chapter.
– Email Rides@dougjonesforsenate.com to get a ride
– BALDWIN County: “we are organizing to drive voters. Call 251 273-4946” – Chrissie Hines
– MOBILE County: “We need help promoting the rides to poll program. For Mobile County 251-219-8639” – Jude Forsyth
– MONTGOMERY County: “call 334-625-1825” – Elizabeth Snider Connor
– SHELBY COUNTY – JUSTIN VEST with Hometown Action
#9. Volunteer to be a poll-watcher on Dec. 12th.
Serve as a poll-watcher on election day. There is training next week and it will be available as a webinar, too. If you are able or know others who may be able to serve as poll observers, Alabamians preferably, please sign up (or ask them to sign up) here.
#10. Volunteer to be a kid-watcher!
(Great idea from Libby Higgins!)
“People are more likely to go vote if they’ve discussed their plans on how they are going to get to the polls that day… So moms out there, please start reaching out to your local Mom groups(both on and offline), ask if they need help watching their kids while they get to the polls, make a plan to meet up for breakfast (or after you all drop kids off at school) then carpool to the polling place, plan to share the cost of a babysitter with someone, see if you can get a local org/church to plan a kiddo drop off location/activity and promote if they do…let’s make sure all the moms get to the polls!”
#11. Volunteer with Indivisible groups across Alabama to get out the vote!
Sign up here.
#12. Pledge to Vote.
- Indivisible Alabama has an organized Pledge to Vote link: (https://m.facebook.com/events/540328359635718) with everyone on your friend list (and email list) and ask them to pledge their vote.
- WokeVote is another group you can pledge to vote with: https://www.wokevote.us/
- The Doug Jones Campaign has this link. You can pledge to vote for Doug here: https://go.dougjonesforsenate.com/page/s/votedoug
#13. Information all canvassers can use…
It’s all about Turnout! Stanford study shows voters turnout when they get message like this:
1. Plan: When will you go? How will you get there? What will you be doing beforehand?
2. Turnouts will be high! (motivates infrequent voters )
3. Be a Voter, rather than Go, Vote! ( A Voter is who you are, Voting can be a task competing with lots of other ones)
More about the study here.
From Doug Jones’ website:
I’ll take those values to the U.S. Senate and work hard for all the people of Alabama:
- Everyone has the right to quality, affordable health care.
- We must restore Alabama’s trust for its elected leaders.
- I will defend a woman’s right to choose and stand with Planned Parenthood.
- All children deserve a first-class education regardless of where they live.
- College must be affordable without burdening a student with overwhelming debt.
- I believe in science and will work to slow or reverse the impact of climate change.
- It is past time we raise the minimum wage to a livable wage.
- Women must be paid an equal wage for equal work at all levels.
- Voter suppression is unAmerican – we must protect voting rights.
- Discrimination cannot be tolerated or protected. America is best when it builds on diversity and is welcoming of the contributions of all.