More info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Continuous volunteer trainings for Swap Meet Justice
Please check! The pandemic closed the Swap meet once. It could happen again!)
When: Every lastSunday – 8:30 am (and )
Where: At each fair. Swap Meet Justice occurs every last Sunday at Oxnard College
When and where are the fairs in 2020?
- Fairs will be held 6/28, 7/26, 8/30, 9/27, 10/25,11/29, 12/27. More information on our monthly Swap Meet Justice/Citizenship Fair here
- You do not need to speak another language, but we appreciate all bilingual volunteers. Not all applicants speak Spanish, but many at the Oxnard College Swap meet do. We will team up volunteers to best help each applicant.
- You do not need to be a lawyer. You will be trained to fill in the required paperwork, and a lawyer checks all our work. We have an orientation at 8:30 to run new volunteers through the forms.
- You do not need to be a citizen or an adult. Motivated teenagers would be most welcome.
- You do need to be patient, kind and willing to smile. Sometime the forms take a couple of hours to get through, even with a couple of volunteers working on them together.
One of the things we’ve discovered since the last presidential election is how much can be accomplished by regular concerned citizens. We also realize how lucky we are that our forebears, leaving behind starvation, desperate poverty or persecution, were able to come to America and start again.
Therefore, we decided to do something hands-on to share a little of our own good fortune to help the newest immigrants in our community.
Join us, local Indivisible groups, amazing immigration attorneys, El Concilio, SEIU, CLUE and volunteers from everywhere, as we help people work through the government forms required to maintain or improve their legal status. Even to become American citizens. And voters! For free. On Sundays. At least once a month.
What do we do?
- We help people with qualifying permanent residency (green) cards fill out the application to become citizens, and VOTERS! Three people have already become citizens since SEIU started these fairs. This is truly life-changing stuff and it just doesn’t get better than that.
- We help also DACA recipients maintain their status and get aid to pay the every-2-year fee of $495 if necessary, along with asking our legislators to provide a path to citizenship for these amazing and hardworking students and workers.
- We’re now helping with green card renewals and Selective Service applications.
- We will also register voters.