Thomas Fire Informational Resources

Fire Information:


Santa Barbara:

Support for the community.

See here for information from Rep. Julia Brownley’s office on assistance, fire information, evacuation shelters, replacing important documents, etc.

Evacuation Shelters/Refugios de evacuación:

Oxnard College Gymnasium/Gimnasio de Oxnard College (Red Cross – 4000 S. Rose Ave., Oxnard, CA 93033)
Ventura County Fairgrounds at Miners Building (includes animal shelter)/Feria del Condado de Ventura en el edificio Miners (incluye refugio para animales) (Red Cross – 10 W. Harbor Blvd., Ventura, CA 93001)
Nordhoff High School (Red Cross – 1401 Maricopa Hwy., Ojai, CA 93023)
Santa Paula Community Center/Centro Comunitario Santa Paula (City of Santa Paula – 530 W. Main St., Santa Paula, CA 93060)
UCSB Multi Activity Court (Red Cross – Mesa Road, University of California Santa Barbara)
UCSB Recreational Center –516 Ocean Road, Santa Barbara, 93106. New evacuees are welcome there.”
Veteran’s Memorial Building (City of Fillmore – 511 2nd Street, Fillmore, CA)
More information available here.
Animal Evacuations – Call 866-EVRT911 (866-387-8911) for assistance in animal evacuations. Large Animal evacuation at the Ventura County Fairgrounds – 10 W. Harbor Blvd., Ventura, CA

Coping with Trauma and Stress

“If you know of anyone in need of support feel free to pass along my information as one of many resources available at this time. I am offering low fee/sliding scale psychotherapy/griefwork at Maple Counseling Center as a Marriage and Family Therapist intern/associate. Here is my information: 805-850-3839 ”

Replacing Lost Documents/Reemplazar documentos perdidos

If you’ve lost important documents or identification in the fires, many can be replaced. You can learn more about how to replace these common documents by contacting agencies directly:
Si ha perdido documentos importantes o identificaciones en los incendios, muchos pueden ser reemplazados. Puede obtener más información sobre cómo reemplazar estos documentos comunes poniéndose en contacto directamente con las agencias:

California driver’s license/Licencia de conducir de California:
Phone: 800-777-0133
Replacement license forms must be delivered in person.

Green cards/Tarjetas de legal residencia permanente (Mica):
Phone: 800-375-5283

Medicare cards/Tarjetas de Medicare:
Phone: 800-772-1213; (TTY) 800-325-0778

Military records/Registros militares:
Phone: 866-272-6272

Phone: 877-487-2778; 888-874-7793 (TTY)

Social Security card/Tarjeta de Seguro Social:
Phone: 800-772-1213; (TTY) 800-325-0778

U.S. Savings Bonds/Bonos de ahorro de EE.UU.:
Phone: 844-284-2676

U.S. tax returns/Declaraciones de impuestos de EE.UU.:
Phone: 800-829-1040

Human Services and Legal Services/ Servicios Humanos y Legales

As fire survivors begin the process of recovery and rebuilding, 2-1-1 Ventura County is available to help with health and human services and legal assistance.
Cuando los sobrevivientes de los incendios comienzan el proceso de recuperación y reconstrucción, el 2-1-1 del Condado de Ventura está disponible para ayudar con servicios de salud y servicios humanos y asistencia legal.

 Phone: 2-1-1 or (800) 339-9597

The state also compiled a list of disaster recovery services.

(Information below from a variety of online newspapers.)

Can you help?/Need Help?

Thomas Fire Help – Neighbor to Neighbor

Click here for multi-tab spreadsheet.

  • Supplies:
    Pick up or drop off, Items available for pick up, we need these items,
  • I want to volunteer with an organization.
  • I want to help my neighbors
  • I need housing
  • I need help with my Animals
  • I need food
  • Make a financial Donation
  • My business needs help
  • information and tips.

Thomas Fire Fund

  • The United Way of Ventura County, American Red Cross of Ventura County, and the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office of Emergency Services have teamed up to create the Thomas Fire Fund.
  • Text UWVC to 41444 to make a cash donation, call 805-485-6288, or go online to United Way of Ventura County’s website.
  • Checks with “Thomas Fire Fund” in the memo line can be mailed to 702 County Square Drive, Suite 100 Ventura, CA 93003.

The Salvation Army

  • The Salvation Army is accepting food and water at the Ventura County Fairgrounds.
  • You can donate cash by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY or visiting the website.

The Red Cross

The Humane Society of Ventura County

  • The Humane Society of Ventura County has taken in over 100 animals.
  • Drop off any of the following items at 402 Bryant St. in Ojai: Alfalfa hay, Timothy hay, cat chow, rabbit food, flashlights, headlamps, lanterns, water troughs, bottled water, fruit, snacks, hoses, and power generators.
  • Donate food and water for volunteers, or make a cash donation on HSVC’s website.
  • Related: Animal Evacuations – Call 866-EVRT911 (866-387-8911)

Los Angeles County Animal Care Foundation

  • Donate to Noah’s Legacy Fund, which provides supplies, training, and equipment to first responders charged with rescuing animals from areas stricken by natural disasters.
  • Mail donations to P.O. Box 100515, Pasadena, CA 91189-0515 or through the LACACF website.
  • Related: Animal Evacuations – Call 866-EVRT911 (866-387-8911)

GoFundMe campaigns

Direct Relief

  • Santa Barbara-based organization Direct Relief is donating 100% of designated funds to victims of the wildfires.
  • Donate money for supplies online and make sure you direct your donation to ” Southern California Wildfires.”

Catholic Charities

  • Catholic Charities is accepting donations of gently used clothing as well as new toys and clothing to be given as Christmas gifts to families displaced by the fires. Donations can be dropped off at Catholic Charities’ Ventura Community Services Center at 303 N. Ventura Ave. Ventura, CA 93001.The charity has also established a special fund to help offset the cost of home repairs. Donations can be made to the Catholic Charities website.


  • YouCaring, an online crowd-funding platform, has created a landing page with all of its campaigns for Southern California wildfire relief.

CCF Wildfire Relief Fund

  • The CCF Wildfire Relief Fund supports intermediate and long-term recovery efforts for major California wildfires, as well as preparedness efforts.

CAUSE – Central Coast Alliance United for A Sustainable Economy

  • Thousands of farmworkers are still laboring in the fields of Ventura County in dangerous wildfire smoke. Our youth led an effort to  pass out the N95 masks recommended by health officials and almost immediately ran out, with the shelves quickly emptying in stores throughout Western Ventura County.
  • continued to post updates only in English. Thousands of evacuated Spanish-speaking families were being left without updates on evacuation areas, fire perimeter, road closures and emergency shelters. CAUSE and MICOP are working with the office of County Supervisor Steve Bennett, and the site now has basic Spanish translation.
  • Please consider making a contribution to help CAUSE on their on-going efforts help our farmworkers and their families.

Advice for fire victims

(1) Contact your insurance companies. Most will cover hotel stays, apart from the usual coverage.

(2) Call your credit card companies and have the last 3-6 months of your purchases reimbursed back (get a police report that testifies you are a fire victim).

(3) If you are renting and are a minor, your parents’ home insurance may cover your belongings.

(4) Call your chain retail stores and see what they can offer to fire victims.

The Sacramento Bee contributed to this report.

Price Gouging during Emergencies

Price gouging after declared emergencies is unlawful. For those looking for new housing…a commenter on an earlier posting wrote: “Unfortunately it’s not gouging until it is above fair market rate. Which was $2100 dollars for a one-bedroom in Ventura County. HUD lists $1800 for a one-bedroom maximum for Low income here. The numbers are all skewed by vacation rentals that hover around 5000 a month.”