Aid to Puerto Rico (photos):
- Unidos por PR: volunteer-run non-profit; all proceeds go to helping Puerto Ricans rebuild their homes
- Ciencia PR: Donate to scientists in Puerto Rico
- For other ways to help — supporting animal shelters, volunteer opportunities, donation drives — check out Cenadores PR’s suggestions here: Los Ambulantes
- Support for Cayo Santiago (aka Monkey Island): thousands of rhesus macaques live on this little island, and researchers at the Caribbean Primate Research Center study them — but the area has been devastated. This fundraiser is for employees who lost their homes and to rebuild the research center. (Ed Yong wrote about it here.)
- United for Puerto Rico (a project led by the First Lady of Puerto Rico)
- Center for Popular Democracy
- Hispanic Federation’s “Unidos” page
- Our former presidents have expanded the One America Appeal – so it now includes Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
- All Hands Volunteers
- SPCA International (help for animal rescue and care)
- Catholic Relief Services
- Direct Relief
- Save the Children, which focuses specifically on the needs of families and their children.
- Habitat for Humanity (housing and shelter needs)
- Salvatian Army (supplies and shelter needs)
- Global Giving has a $2 million goal for victims of Hurricane Maria
ConPRmetidos (Puerto Rico-based nonprofit to benefit “immediate needs of food, shelter, water” and more)
Casa Taller a community group in Puerto Rico who is providing food and shelter for people in need despite the “scarcest of resources,”
Aid specifically to the US Virgin Islands:
- 21 US Virgin Island Relief Fund (NBA star Tim Duncan hoping to raise $5 million for his home country)
- Hurricane Maria Relief for Good Hope Country Day School St. Croix
- Dominica Hurricane Maria Relief Fund (bringing relief to Dominica)
- Caribbean Tourism Organization’s Hurricane Relief Fund (to help families and countries rebuild after hurricanes)
Aid to central Mexico (photos):
- Topos rescue brigade: an independent volunteer group performing rescues
- Project Paz, an NYC-based non-profit for Latino children, and the El Paso Community Foundation, a southwest-based non-profit, are collecting funds to earthquake victims
You can also donate money or goods to nonprofits on the ground, including the following:
Actress Salma Hayek, who donated $100,000, has launched a fundraiser on Crowdrise to benefit UNICEF.
Aid to Las Vegas
In addition to giving blood,are being accepted.
Steve Sisolak, Clark County commission chair from Las Vegas, has set up a GoFundMe page to raise money to assist the victims of the shooting. The site has already raised more than $3.7 million.