Send your unwanted luggage to a new home!
Instead of offering unwanted items, like luggage, for free on free/barter websites, consider donating them to local groups, such as the Coalition for Domestic Harmony (aka Battered Women Shelter) in Ventura, because they are still collecting donations and they can make excellent use of your unwanted items. People arae listing very good items in the local D&D group wanting nothing in exchange. If it’s just that you don’t want to drive to donate your items, did you know BW will do a pick up at your house for free? Call (805) 643-4411 to request a pick up.
Free meal delivery for seniors or with a disability.
“Please share! Are you a senior who is sheltering in place or do you know one who needs meals delivered? Who qualifies for enrollment into the program? (Full FAQ’s here)
- Individuals who are 65 or older, or 60-64 and at high-risk as defined by the CDC, including:
- Individuals who are COVID-19 positive (as documented by a state/local public health official or medical health professional),
- Individuals who have been exposed to COVID-19 (as documented by a state/local public health official or medical health professional), or
- Individuals with an underlying condition.
- Individuals must live alone or with one other program-eligible adult
- Participants must not be currently receiving assistance from other state or federal nutrition assistance programs
- Participants must earn no more than 600% of the federal poverty limit
- Individuals must affirm an inability to prepare or obtain meals
Volunteers are also welcomed.
A free face mask for everyone who needs one.
The Activ(ist)Wear brand DHVANI is giving a free mask to anyone in the United States who requests one. All masks are 100% free and paid for by donations. Learn more here. https://www.gofundme.com/f/MasksForAll
If you’d like a free mask, go here: https://DHVANI.com/FreeMasks
If you can pay $10 for a mask to help fund others, go here. All proceeds go to helping provide masks for others.
The pandemic has left millions hungry. This group helps people get food benefits fast, by text.
In the past six years, this nonprofit has helped more than 700,000 people across the country connect to potentially lifesaving benefits by texting the word “food” to the number 74544. Their website is here. WAPO article here.
Resource: Kids and Trauma/ Race Trauma/ COVID-19 Isolation
FYI: Outside rallies, with masks, are “moderate-low” risk.
Aid for those impacted by COVID-19
Have you been laid off or have your work hours been impacted due to COVID-19? You may be eligible to receive up to $800 in supportive services assistance for housing, utilities, childcare, transportation, and telework equipment, such as a computer or internet. For more information and to apply for the COVID-19 Support Services Program, visit venturacountyajcc.org or call 805-204-5186.
Ethnic Studies Webinars
An archived broadcast can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/CAEducation/videos/768846657195648/
Read and consider how this can apply here.
Poor People’s Campaign
Read the Poor People’s Campaign platform here.
More Racial Justice resources here. Extensive BLM resources, including donation sites, onlines classes, Black-owned businesses, reading/watching lists and more.
COVID-19 Relief and Recovery Plan for Black America
“For too long, Black people have had to work twice as hard to barely get half as far in America. The rules of the economy, our democracy, and our society are rigged — and as a result, Black communities are falling farther behind.
COVID-19 has exposed the connection between rigged rules and their impacts on our families: Black people are infected at higher rates, and comprise the majority of deaths from the disease in many cities across America.We need a plan for Black communities that protects our families, provides access to the care we need, and that builds new infrastructure to address the crises facing us. It’s time to change the rules, and make new ones that protect and strengthen our communities. The Black Agenda 2020 is a roadmap for making Black people powerful in all aspects of our lives.To flatten the curve and level the playing field, Congress must adopt the following Black Agenda2020 priorities immediately.”
SIGN UP YOUR FRIENDS TO VOTE – Color of Change
Our history is rife with injustice and we’ve got a ways to go before all Black people are free from systemic racism. But now more than ever, I encourage you to honor and celebrate the legacy of Black resilience and freedom by making sure you and your community members are registered to vote.
So yesterday, we posted an action for 3 activities to do in the wake of an incident of nationwide abuse (here) and today, we’re posting this video from John Pavlovitz, a writer, pastor, and activist whose columns we have long admired.
Mr. Pavlovitz is a gifted writer and you don’t need to be religious to find inspiration in his posts. Here are several:
- Joe Biden is the Only Truly Pro-life Presidential Candidate,
- Donald Trump Cann’t Condemn White Supremacy. It’s All He Has,
- The People Hit Hardest This Year.
- Different author but an interesting and optimistic take on the debate: “So no, last night was not a debate. It was more of a competition over our perception of reality. Trump showed that the only way he can win a debate or an election is to convince us that there’s nothing we can do to stop him. That resistance is futile. But according to Trump’s own logic, all we need to do to defeat him is to believe otherwise and vote. It’s that easy.“
- What is Trump is hiding behind his fascism threats, besides more fascism? Check the latest report from historian Heather Cox Richardson.