PETITION – Free Grace from incarceration!
UPDATE: She’s out! The Michigan Court of Appeals ordered her immediate release from a juvenile detention facility in Detroit.
JUSTICE FOR AMANI KILDEA
Please sign this petition to the Prosecutors Office of Morris County and Governor Phil Murphy. Amani Kildea was a 20 year old man found hanging in a tree in Morristown, NJ. His death, without investigation, was ruled a suicide. Amani has goals and dreams to be in the FBI or CIA one day. He was set to attend James Madison University in the fall of 2020.
#JusticeForMassaiCole (Hate Crime Enhancement)
This petition is for 18 year old Massai Cole, a native of Ventura, killed 18 days before his 19th Birthday in Moreno Valley, CA by 2 white supremacy first cousins at one of his best friend’s party. So far, the courts are not treating his death as a hate crime and his case isn’t getting the public attention it deserves. We are asking for Darren & Jared Zesk (first cousins) to be charged with a Hate Crime Enhancement in the murder of Massai Jevon Cole 02/19/01 – 02/01/20.
Free Families in Ice Detention and protect them during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Read the petition and sign here.
“Right now, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is locking up approximately 150 families in arbitrary and prolonged detention at three U.S. facilities — the Berks family detention center in Pennsylvania, and two other detention centers in Dilley and Karnes City, Texas. Although children are supposed to be held in these facilities for no more than 20 days under the long-standing Flores Settlement Agreement, that limit is regularly ignored. These children and parents came here seeking safety from violence and persecution, and were instead thrown behind bars. Now, in the midst of a global pandemic, they are at increased risk of contracting COVID-19 while in crowded conditions with inadequate hygiene and negligent medical care.
What’s worse: ICE has weaponized its public health response to COVID-19 and is now pursuing Family Separation 2.0 — Families can stay together in prolonged detention, or children can be released while their parents remain behind in detention indefinitely and face possible deportation.“
Take Action: Demand Families be released together.
Read the petition and sign here. “COVID-19 has been spreading and we’ve received word that it has now shown up in family detention centers.
In accordance with the Flores Settlement Agreement, which only covers children, U.S. District Judge Dolly Gee ruled June 26 that all children detained for more than 20 days at ICE Family Residential Centers (FRCs) be released no later than July 17, 2020. In her order, she states, “the Court is not surprised that COVID-19 has arrived at both the FRCs and ORR facilities, as health professionals have warned all along…that individuals living in congregate settings are more vulnerable to the virus,” and cites “[t]he recent increases in COVID-19 infection rates in the counties in which Karnes and Dilley are located…”. In the words of Judge Gee, “[t]he FRCs are “on fire” and there is no more time for half measures.
Judge Gee only has authority over detained children under the Flores Settlement Agreement. And while we applaud Judge Gee’s decision, we are are worried ICE may use this court order to attempt to tear children away from their parents again. We cannot let this happen.”
Facebook: Take Trump’s racism as seriously as his Nazi ads.
Petition here. Facebook, you were right to take down ads from the President of the United States using a Nazi concentration camp symbol — less than 24 hours after massive public outcry.
(What is up with the Trump campaign? If the fuss over an $88 baseball (instead of the more usual $89.99) seems odd, “88” is one of the most common white supremacist symbols.)
But why did you leave up hundreds of similar ads, all spreading dangerous lies about millions of Americans protesting the murder of George Floyd? And why have you let Trump continue to call for violence against Black people?
It’s past time for you to take anti-Black racism as seriously as you take Nazi imagery. Bigotry and disinformation are dangerous to our lives and democracy, period.
Extend COVID-19 Emergency unemployment relief.
MoveOn petition, read about/sign here. “…nearly 14% of the US population who are now out of a job—and that’s only those who have formally applied for benefits. The actual number of newly unemployed people is likely much larger and will continue to increase in coming months.
Many people who are laid off due to COVID19 won’t find work for a very long time, maybe never because some jobs lost today won’t be coming back. … Please let’s help each other save and serve those who are in most need.
Extend the COVID 19 Emergency $600 per week additional unemployment assistance well beyond July 31, 2020, until at least December 31, 2020 and longer if necessary.”
This petition will be delivered to the Governors of all 50 states and both houses of Congress on the federal level, via email or in person.
“Orange County Airport” is a fine name all by itself.
Actionnetwork.org petition, read about/sign here. “Many are learning that John Wayne — the person, not the characters he played in film — was an admitted white supremacist, homophobe, and misogynist… Widely circulated interviews and videos document Wayne’s beliefs. (Read more here.)
…Join with these organizations calling for change: the OC NAACP, California Democratic Party African-American Caucus, CAIR-LA (Council on American-Islamic Relations – Los Angeles), CHIRLA (Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights), Chicanxs Unidxs, the National Union of Healthcare Workers, OCCORD (Orange County Communities Organized for Responsible Development), and United Food and Commercial Workers are joining the call for change”
Tell Congress to Expand the Civil Rights of 1964 NOW!
Read/Sign the petition here.
Dear Member of Congress,
I am writing to you as a concerned citizen who cares deeply about the cause of equality in this country. We are looking to our elected officials in Washington to conduct an immediate reevaluation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to strengthen its protections, and to dramatically expand the scope of its impact…(Read more here.)
Help with the campaign for Breonna. It’s fast and easy!
So far, no police officer involved in shooting a woman in her bed have been arrested, though her death has resulted in a new ordinance “Breonna’s Law,” limiting “no-knock” warrants to situations of “imminent threat of harm or death” in cases involving murder, hostage-taking, kidnapping, terrorism, human trafficking and sexual trafficking.
Click this link http://tinyurl.com/ycha6nuu/ and a letter ready to email, with just a couple of insertions from you.
MORE FAST ACTIONS! (from Elle):
- Sign this petition asking for the officers involved to be arrested and charged and for Congress to pass legislation that federally bans “no-knock” warrants.
- Donate to the GoFundMe for Taylor’s family.
- Send an email to the Kentucky Attorney General and Governor using the link provided here.
- Send a birthday card or letter to the Kentucky Attorney General and Louisville Mayor. You can find their mailing addresses here.
- Flood social media with the hashtags #SayHerName and #BirthdayForBreonna.
- Donate to the Louisville Community Bail Fund here to support protestors on the ground.Protest actions happening soon.
Send an Email from United We Dream to demand the cessation of gassing immigrants
(United We dream) “We have just confirmed reports that the detention center in Adelanto, CA is using hazardous chemicals as a disinfectant in response to COVID-19 — and we have heard similar practices in camps in Texas and Florida.
Up to 50 times a day, agents are directly spraying immigrants with HDQ Neutral, a chemical that is highly poisonous to people and causes chemical burns on the skin and eyes. We need to stop this! ICE must release all immigrants from detention camps where they are in danger of dying because of the spread of Covid-19. We’ve created a template email that you can easily send directly to Albence’s inbox. Just add your information, and if you’d like you can edit the email to include anything else you’d like to say. Just remember, – this is urgent, they need to hear from all of us. The longer we wait, the longer our loved-ones are exposed to possibly contracting Covid-19 and suffering at the hands of ICE.”
Sign this petition “Enough Is Enough. Facebook’s Racism Needs to Stop — Take Action Today”
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is a coward. He’s standing with white supremacists, racists and fascists on the wrong side of history. Petition here.
It’s time for Facebook to enforce its own policies. White supremacists are supposedly banned from the platform and yet report after report shows that they’re leveraging the site to recruit, organize and raise money. The company supposedly doesn’t allow language that urges violent action and yet Trump’s incendiary commentary remains up. Tell Facebook to:
- Enforce its own policies and ban users, including the president, who refuse to follow them.
- Root out fake Black Lives Matter and antifa accounts that call for violence.
- Remove hateful ads.
Sign this petition/make a call for safe, accessible, voting
(6/10 – Update) Sign the Petition! Support Assembly Bill 860 & Senate Bill 423 for safe, secure, and accessible elections this November.
More than ever it’s important that our voices are heard both in the streets and at the ballot box. And right now, California has an opportunity to ensure it protects our right to vote in the upcoming November election.
We need your voice today. Will you sign our letter to State Legislative leaders saying you support Assembly Bill 860 and Senate Bill 423 for safe, secure, and accessible elections this November?
Sign this petition calling for non-prosecution of George Floyd Solidarity Protester Cases.
Sign this petition here. “The Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office announced it may not file charges against curfew violators in exchange for as-yet undisclosed conditions that the City Attorney claims would be “productive” and not “punitive.” While we welcome this first step, we demand that the Los Angeles City Attorney decline to file any charges against anyone protesting police violence and standing in solidarity with the Black community — without conditions.
On behalf of Black Lives Matter Los Angeles and its allies — including the Los Angeles Community Action Network (LACAN) and National Lawyers Guild of Los Angeles — we call on the Los Angeles City Attorney and all of the region’s prosecutors to honor our community, respect our civil rights, and reject the criminalization of Black lives.
If the prosecuting agencies move forward with these unjust and unsound prosecutions, the Public Defenders Union and nearly 1,000 volunteer attorneys stand at the ready to defend every arrestee and to take each and every case to trial.”
Sign this petition about Breonna Taylor
Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old Black woman, was murdered in her home by Louisville police officers on March 13th. The officers barged into her home without warning or even so much as a knock, broke through her door, fired off more than 20 bullets, and ultimately murdered Breonna. Her murderers have not been charged andthey are still on the Louisville police department payrolls as of today
The FBI has announced an investigation. The mayor is suspending all “no-knock” warrants. Color of Change has a petition demanding that Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer fire the officers now! Sign the petition and make these calls.
Sign this petition about Simi Valley Councilman Mike Judge
(6/5 – Update): Sign this petition and this one, to remove Mike Judge from the Simi Valley City Council, whether or not you can attend the march. Despite being a city official, he has recently advocated violence against protesters, posting to his facebook wall: “Wanna stop the riots? Mobilize the septic tank trucks, put a pressure cannon on em…hose em down…the end“. He criticized the peaceful protest planned by local high schoolers, and after an organizer’s polite invitation to speak at the event, he publicly shared her name, exposing her to hostile backlash and threats. She is a citizen of his city and he, a public official and 30-year veteran of the Los Angeles Police Department, deliberately put her in danger. Simi Valley deserves better public servants. Here is a link for the full story. (6/7 – Update) He has since apologized, but who needs a public official with the mean-spirited “humor” and political maturity of our president?
Stand up & speak up by contacting Mike Judge’s employer…The City Of LA!
Sample script: “We are witnessing, yet again LAPD and Mayor Pro Tem Mike Judge’s inflammatory public statements. He put the safety of a young local Black woman at risk by posting her name on his social media after she reached out to him to speak at the June 6th Simi Valley protest, and he is endangering our community by publicly mocking the event – tactily encouraging his supporters to harass folks at the event itself.”
- Email: Chief Of Police Michel Moore: LAPDonline@gmail.com
- Call: LA Police Commission: 213.202.5614 & 213.236.1400.
- Call: LAPD Internal Affairs Division: 1.800.339.6868
- File a complaint Online: http://assets.lapdonline.org/assets/pdf/1a_Online%20Complaint%20Form.pdf
- Email: LA Mayor Garcetti: Mayor.Garcetti@LACity.org, Mayor.Helpdesk@LACity.org
Sign this petition for the NAACP!
Justice for George Floyd: Sign the Petition
- Demand immediate arrest of the remaining 3 officers involved in George Floyd’s murder.
- Demand appointment of an independent special prosecutor to lead the federal government’s full and impartial investigation of the murder of George Floyd.
- Demand reinstitution by the Department of Justice of consent decrees on police departments and municipal governments across this country that have demonstrated patterns of racism towards and mistreatment of people of color.
- Demand sweeping police reform–federal legislation mandating a zero-tolerance approach in penalizing and/or prosecuting police officers who kill unarmed, non-violent, and non-resisting individuals in an arrest.
Sign this petition for CAUSE!
Dear CAUSE friends, This pandemic has brought the nation’s attention to the difficult, dangerous, and underpaid work of farmworkers, who are always essential, but too often treated as disposable.
Dozens of farmworkers at Rancho Laguna Farms in Santa Maria went on strike several weeks ago for a ten cent raise per box. Their frustration with a long pattern of poor working conditions reached its boiling point when the company squeezed them to work harder for the same low pay, while they struggled to pay for the rising cost of groceries and childcare during the pandemic. They were met with immediate retaliation for organizing, with supervisors calling the sheriff on them and firing them.
Farmworkers have risked everything to continue to feed the world through this crisis. Now it’s time for us to have their back. (Watch their video here.)
Click here to sign a petition in support of the brave farmworkers at Rancho Laguna.
(6/9 – Update): Sign this petition from Color of Change.
View full report here.
Tell Netflix to remove all cop shows from its platform. – Sign petition here.
Shows about police have been an ongoing problem in the television and entertainment landscape. Whether it is reality shows like “Live PD” or “Cops,” or fictional television shows like “Law & Order: SVU,” cop shows heroize police.1 But we know from what’s going on in our country that police are not heroes. They are out in the streets of cities and towns across America right now, tear-gassing Black people and beating protestors until they bleed.2 They habitually demonize Black people, harass and kill us regularly, and make us feel unsafe and unwelcome in this country.3 Other networks are doing it too…here.
- “Cops Are Always the Main Characters,” Vulture, June 1, 2020, https://act.colorofchange.org/go/248682?t=9&akid=43045%2E3161692%2EriLtsC
- “America’s Protests Won’t Stop Until Police Brutality Does,” The New York Times, June 1, 2020, https://act.colorofchange.org/go/248683?t=11&akid=43045%2E3161692%2EriLtsC
- “These 4 charts describe police violence in America,” CNBC, June 1, 2020, https://act.colorofchange.org/go/248684?t=13&akid=43045%2E3161692%2EriLtsC
Sign this petition from Color of Change.
Read and sign this Color of Change petition to local decision makers to acknowledge that policing is a violent institution that must end and calling on them to adopt the following demands:
- Invest in healthy communities not policing
- Increase transparency and accountability for officers with records of misconduct.
- Do away with unfair protections for officers in police union contracts and Law Enforcement Officers’ ‘Bills of Rights.’
- Strengthen police use-of-force policies to protect human life and rights.
- End ‘broken windows’ policing and stop unnecessary prosecution of low-level offenses.
- Establish effective civilian oversight boards with investigative and subpoena powers.
- Respond to mental health crises with healthcare, not policing responses.
- Require independent investigations in all cases where police kill or seriously injure people.
- End the profit motive in policing.
These are great points to put into calls and emails to your legislators on all levels. See “Contacts” at the bottom of this post.
Sign this petition from Black Lives Matter.
We call for an end to the systemic racism that allows this culture of corruption to go unchecked and our lives to be taken.
We call for a national defunding of police. We demand investment in our communities and the resources to ensure Black people not only survive, but thrive. If you’re with us, add your name to the petition right now and help us spread the word.
Complete descriptions for the following petitions here.
- Justice for Robert Fuller
- Send an Email from United We Dream to demand the cessation of gassing immigrants
- Send an Email from United We Dream to demand the cessation of gassing immigrants
- Sign this petition “Enough Is Enough. Facebook’s Racism Needs to Stop — Take Action Today”
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is a coward. He’s standing with white supremacists, racists and fascists on the wrong side of history. Petition here.
- Sign this petition about Breonna Taylor
- Sign this petition calling for non-prosecution of George Floyd Solidarity Protester Cases.
- Sign this petition here.
- Sign this petition for CAUSE!
- Click here to sign a petition in support of the brave farmworkers at Rancho Laguna.
- Sign this petition for the NAACP!
- Justice for George Floyd: Sign the Petition
- Sign this petition from Color of Change for Netflix to remove violent cop shows.
- View full report here.
- Sign this petition from Black Lives Matter.
- We call for an end to the systemic racism that allows this culture of corruption to go unchecked and our lives to be taken. Black people not only survive, but thrive. If you’re with us, add your name to the petition right now and help us spread the word.
- Sign this petition/make a call for safe, accessible, voting
- Sign the Petition! Support Assembly Bill 860 & Senate Bill 423 for safe, secure, and accessible elections this November.