Mar. 5: We have so much work to do & nobody’s slowing down…
We’ve posted events happening today and this weekend below. Check out our action list here for more!
NOW, IT’S OUR TURN…
- Romney’s TRUST Act is a “Trojan Horse” to cut seniors’ Social Security benefits! here.
- WANTED: POSTCARD WRITERS FOR WASHINGTON DC/DEPORTATIONS here.
- ADD TAX RELIEF AND AUTOMATIC STABILERS TO THE AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN here.
- H.R.1/S.1 – For the People Act of 2021: The most important bill for our democracy is still the first one. Here.
- Both the $15/hr. wage and H.R. 5 – the Equality Act are in danger in the Senate. Here.
- (3) QUICK ACTIONS: REP. HAALAND FOR INTERIOR SEC., WATER ACT, H.R. 803; Here.
- THE FILIBUSTER IS A JIM CROW RELIC here.
- HELP TEXANS AFFECTED BY THE WEATHER CRISES here.
- CHARGE ALL THE CAPITOL CRIMINALS here.
- SAY “NO” TO LIFETIME RETIREMENT PERKS FOR OUR FORMER GRIFTER-IN-CHIEF Here.
- BLACK LIVES MATTER REQUESTS…”YES” ON H.Res 25 & COUP Act. Here.
- 3 QUICK ACTIONS: AMERICAN RELIEF PLAN, DE-FANG DEJOY, PUBLIC CHARGE Here.
- GET READY TO FLUSH THE FILIBUSTER – Here.
- THERE IS NO MORE TIME TO WAIT! D.C. STATEHOOD NOW! here.
- TICK, TOCK, WE’RE WAITING FOR RESIGNATIONS Here.
- REMOVE THE WHOLE ECO-SYSTEM OF SEDITION– actions here.
- FIND A CA VACCINATION SITE HERE and in Ventura, here too, along with local stats.
- Trump Death Clock* here. Today’s number = 308,080
- (*deaths attributed to Trump’s inaction prior to 3/16/20)
- US COVID deaths = 517,833 (291,557 US soldiers died in WWII)
- Number of new COVID cases today = 53,544 Deaths = 1,819
Events/Actions happening today/ this weekend!
The Black History Month 2021 theme, “Black Family: Representation, Identity and Diversity” explores the African diaspora, and the spread of Black families across the United States.
“Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; It must be demanded by the oppressed.” ~ MLK
- UPCOMING EVENTS, TODAY, THIS WEEK, THIS MONTH: LIVE & ONLINE.
- We’re putting up information on local protests and actions by others we’re finding from informal sources. These listings are not endorsements nor guarantees as to time/place/type of protest or participant safety. Events can and have already been cancelled without notice.
- HELP WANTED: Help your fellow Venturans! – Volunteer and donation sites in Ventura County.
Friday/Saturday/Sunday – 03/5-7/21 – ONLINE – “56th Anniversary Selma Bridge Crossing Jubilee “
Register is free. Sign up here. The 56th Anniversary Selma Bridge Crossing Jubilee, the largest annual civil rights event in the nation, is scheduled to take place March 5-7 as we honor the past, examine the present and look forward to the future of the fight for equity and justice. This year’s theme is:
Beyond the Bridge: People Power, Political Power, Economic Power
This epic undertaking is making history in a brand new way by going global and virtual for the first time ever! The Jubilee will be a time of celebration, education, and commemoration, with activities for people of all ages — and the entire weekend is designed for you to stay engaged, stay safe, and log in from anywhere in the world.
You won’t want to miss:
- Special appearances by legendary civil rights leaders, Ambassador Andrew Young and Dolores Huerta
- A tribute to the late Congressman John Lewis
- Powerful stories of Foot Soldiers in the movement, in their own words
- Step Show and Battle of the Bands Competitions
- A soul-stirring Gospel Concert
- Virtual Music and Film Festivals
- The Virtual Crossing Reenactment across the Edmund Pettus Bridge,
- and so much more!
Friday – 03/5/21 – ONLINE – “Defending the Basic Human Right to Water” – (7 pm PST)
Facebook link here. George McGraw, Founder and CEO and DigDeep Ambassador Shoshana Brower•
Over 2 million Americans do not have running water or a working toilet at home.
• 44 million more don’t have clean water that’s safe to drink.
DIGDEEP is a human rights non-profit organization working to ensure
That every American has clean, running water forever.
Current projects include the Navajo Water Project and the Appalachia Water Project.George McGraw is a human rights researcher and advocate specializing in the human right to water and sanitation in the United States. He currently serves as founder and CEO of digdeep.org, the only WASH (water, sanitation, and hygiene) organization serving disadvantaged communities in the United States. He was the 2019 Social Entrepreneur in Residence (SEERS Fellow) at Stanford University and is an Ashoka Fellow. McGraw holds an M.A. in International Law and Conflict Management from the United Nations University for Peace.Please register in advance here:
http://bit.ly/2LFtLIrDIGDEEPThis event is free of charge, donations are gratefully accepted
Saturday 3/6/21 – PHONEBANK “Karen Carter Peterson for Congress” (11:00 am)
Stacey Abrams endorses Karen Carter Peterson for Congress calling her a “champion of justice!”
Help us make history and send the FIRST BLACK WOMAN to Congress from LOUISIANA! PHONEBANK, Saturday, March 6th, 2 PM – 4 PM (EST)! Sign up here: https://www.mobilize.us/teamkcp/event/377294/
Saturday 3/6-7/21 – ONLINE – “The Revolutionary Educator Conference: Activating Liberation Pedagogy” (9:00 am)
Facebook link here. Tickets on sale until 11:30pm ET on Friday March 5th!Join Host Principal Rahh the “Revolutionary Principal” for a two-day virtual conference inspiring educators to Be Revolutionary. Revolutionary Educator Conference: Activating Liberation Pedagogy
Register now to have access to all of the session replays until June 6th!
Join us at the Revolutionary Educator Conference , as we explore, develop, and revolutionize the educational experience to ensure that all students thrive in today’s environment. This Conference is equipped to equip and inspire all educators, no matter your specialty or position.
It is no longer enough for schools to follow the traditional path for all students. Every student comes with different needs that have to be addressed in their own individual ways. Now is the time to be inspired. More than ever our students need us to be courageous and fight to be the change. You are the revolution that your students need.Activation and Internalization
During our time together we will unpack how you can break the school-to-prison pipeline by shifting your school’s focus from reactive discipline to proactive support.
We will help you shift your school’s mindset–and in effect, its culture—from one of punishment to one of conflict resolution.
Attendees will be provided tools on how to get the community involved and committed to your school’s success, even if some of them don’t have students enrolled at your school and so much more from our dynamic presenters and panelists.
Your leadership matters more than ever when times get tough.
The direction you take your school will determine how effective your school will be; and the effectiveness of your school will shape the future, not just of your students, but of the wider community.
If you want your school to be a place that has a meaningful impact on every student, as well as the community, then this is the conference for you.
All attendees will receive a certificate from Revolutionary Education for 12 hours of professional development upon completion of the conference, and will be able to replay all sessions until June 6th. Sponsorship details and Agenda details in facebook post.
Saturday 3/6/21 – ONLINE – “Onward to Equity” (12:00 pm)
Are you ready for an afternoon full of empowerment?!Register at https://www.mobilize.us/womensmarchfoundation/event/374045
Saturday 3/6/21 – CARAVAN- “Reunite Our Families Now! | ¡Reunificar a Nuestras Familias Ahora!” (11:00 am)
Facebook link here. English Below
¡REUNIFICAR A NUESTRAS FAMILIAS AHORA!Únete a KPA en tu automóvil o a pie el sábado 6 de marzo en Silverlake mientras nos reunimos para que nuestras comunidades exijan a la administración Biden:PONER FIN A TODAS LAS DEPORTACIONES | CERRAR LOS CENTROS DE DETENCIÓN DE ICE | REUNIFICAR A TODAS LAS FAMILIAS | PAPELES PARA LOS 11 MILLONES DE INMIGRANTES | ABOLIR A ICESi vienes a pie, recuerda usar un cubreboca y practicar el distanciamiento social. Más detalles serán divulgados próximamente.
REUNITE OUR FAMILIES NOW! Join us in your car or on foot on Saturday March 6th in Silverlake as we make noise and rally for our communities to demand the Biden administration:END ALL DEPORTATIONS | CLOSE DOWN ICE DETENTION CENTERS | REUNITE FAMILIES | PAPERS FOR ALL 11 MILLION | ABOLISH ICE If you are coming on foot, please remember to wear a mask and practice social distancing! More details forthcoming.
Thursday – 3/4,6 – ONLINE – “Virtual Rally and Phone Bank to elect Katrina Foley to the Orange County Board of Supervisors” (times vary)
Facebook link here. Sign on here. Rep. Katie Porter and her ferocious whiteboard of death has asked for our help! Who can resist! She and our fellow Indivisibe members in the Conejo Valley know that there are NO insignificant elected offices.
And according to the early returns, a GOP candidate is ahead in this race.
They need help connecting with voters from across District 2 to let them know about this crucial Special Election and make sure they return their ballots. Join us to #Flip2Blue and help make history on March 9th!
Monday, February 22, 5:30pm PST/8:30pm EST
Thursday, February 25, 6pm PST/9pm EST
Saturday, February 27, 11am PST/2pm EST
Tuesday, March 2, 6pm PST/9pm EST
Thursday, March 4, 6pm PST/9pm EST
Saturday, March 6, 11am PST/2pm EST
Monday, March 8, 5:30pm PST/8:30pm EST
Please make sure to register in advance and email email@example.com if you have any questions.Time
Sunday – 3/7/2021 – ONLINE – “Civic Sundays – Dial for Dollars / Call Voters for Katrina Foley” (12:00 pm PT)
Sign up here. Two great phonebanks for Costa Mesa Mayor Katrina Foley’s March 8 special election for the critical O.C. Board of Supervisors seat. Come dial for dollars or call to get out the vote. We offer a brief training at noon sharp.
Petition – “Protect Immigrant Survivors”
Learn more about her and sign the petition here. #FreeGabby! In about two weeks, Gabby will face an ICE transfer from state prison at CCWF unless Gov. Newsom intervenes. Please continue to amplify Gabby’s campaign to protect immigrant survivors! Take action here with Gabby’s toolkit: bit.ly/FreeGabbyToolkit
- Minimal script: “I’m calling from [zip code] to urge Governor Newsom to stop the ICE transfer of Gabriela Solano #W82038, a 48-year old immigrant and domestic violence survivor who’s scheduled to be released from the Central California Women’s Facility (CCWF) in Chowchilla, California. She is at risk of being transferred to ICE detention and deported to Mexico, a country she left as a baby. I urge Governor Newsom to use his power to protect immigrant survivors like Gabriela and to free her to the care of her loved ones and community?”
- Call script for Gov. Newsom at (916) 445-2841
- Email Gov. Newsom, here,
Petition – “Demand a free and fair trial.”
Sign here. GEORGE FLOYD should still be alive today. Demand Justice.
Derek Chauvin will stand trial for the murder of George Floyd in March. The 3 other officers on the scene that day will stand trial in August. Chauvin has been charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter and faces up to 40 years in prison if convicted.
We demand a free and fair trial. We demand the Minneapolis Police Officers involved in the murder of George Floyd be held responsible.
We are calling on Governor Tim Walz, Keith Ellison, of Minnesota Attorney General and Judge Peter Cahill to ensure a fair trial.
George Floyd was a star athlete in high school, and among the first of his siblings to attend college. He became a fixture in the early days of Houston’s hip-hop scene, performing as a rapper known as “Big Floyd.” Like all of us, he had some ups and downs in his life, but in adulthood, Mr. Floyd became committed to his Christian faith, becoming an active church volunteer and a mentor to troubled youth in his community.
Thank you for reading this petition. Please sign and share to help get justice for George Floyd and to prevent more cases of police brutality. Support and Follow us on Instagram: @justiceforgeorge and Twitter: @gfmfoundation, and Facebook: The George Floyd Memorial Foundation for case updates.
Romney’s TRUST Act is a “Trojan Horse” to cut seniors’ Social Security benefits!
There’s a saying – “The devil’s in the details.” And deep in legislative details, there’s a GOP malignancy called the TRUST Act, which sounds benign, but has the ability to slice and dice Social Security from the inside out. A surprising number of Democratic senators voted this into the 2021 Budget act (including our own Sen. Feinstein!) and the GOP may slip it into the final COVID relief act. Alert your senators, call out the ones who voted for it for the budget and thank those who didn’t. Scripts and post here.
The American Rescue Plan could use a couple of extra lifeboats…
We got some issues we’d like our senators to address…People are starting to get hit with tax bills for their unemployment checks, which shouldn’t be taxed at all during a time like this. Seriously! The GOP will force the Democrats to use reconciliation to get this through, and that process has some issues that the GOP are hoping will bite us in the behind. Adding automatic stabilizers will keep the Rescue plan cruising along without additional legislation if we still need help in September or beyond. Remove taxes on unemployment payments and add automatic stabilizers! Post and scripts here.
Wed 3/3: Wanted: Postcard writers! D.C. statehood and stopping deportation flights.
TWO POSTCARD CAMPAIGNS!The DC statehood campaign continues because the indignity of second-class citizenry continues. It’s a couple of hundred years past time for this to be corrected with H.R. 51/S.51 – Washington DC Admission Act.The WHAT’S NEXT? folks have put together their new postcard campaign to stop the deportations. Link here to get involved.
Mon-Tues: Three quick environmental/ environmental justice actions!
- The oil industry is trying to smack Rep. Deb Haaland out of her nomination for Secretary of the Interior. Voting possible on Wednesday. Call your senators.
- Due to the pressure of the pandemic, our third-world worthy water and sewage infrastructure and the rising costs to the public of these basics of life can no longer be ignored. Clean water is a human right. Call your legislators on the WATER Act.
- Land conservation a top priority in order to fight the economic, climate and biodiversity crises we’re currently facing together. Make sure your representatives know that they should be supporting H.R. 803. Vote possible on Wednesday.
Call/email your senators and tell them to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to enact bold structural reform on every issue we care about by dumping the filibuster!
Call scripts and more informaiton here.
Help Texans affected by the weather crisis!
Lots of ways to help here.
Donations Needed – Monthly Food Outreach
Drop-offs can be made Monday-Friday, 9am-9pm, but please call ahead at 818-641-2396 to make sure someone will be there to meet you.
Volunteers Needed – United Way of Ventura County
Greetings, Volunteers – Happy Friday! We hope you’ve had a great week. Are you interested in helping with food access and distribution in Ventura County? We recognize that, throughout COVID, opportunities have been limited and many transferred to online platforms. However, food remains one area in which many opportunities remain plentiful for volunteers to engage with!
Here are some current opportunities:
- Food distribution every Thursday, 8am-1pm, with Community Action VC in Oxnard
- Pantry volunteer every Monday 12-4pm, Wednesday 10am-2pm, and Thursday 10am-2pm with theSamaritan Center of Simi Valley
- Food Delivery Assistance on Monday, February 22 from 9-11am with the Salvation Army Simi Valley Service Center
- Food Share has many opportunities. Check out their opportunities for pop up pantries, food delivery, boxing and sorting food, and helping in the Senior Nutrition Garden!
Thank you for all you do in our communities across Ventura County. If you have any questions about opportunities, please email Francesca at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Info Share – Citizenship Assistance!
Anytime – ONLINE/IRL – “Color of Change – The Pedestal Project” –
Color Of Change has launched The Pedestal Project, an augmented reality (AR) experience on Instagram that lets users place statues of racial justice leaders atop empty pedestals where confederate statues once stood as a refreshing new symbol of equality and progress. Per a press release sent to The Root, the campaign encourages people to snap a picture or a video of their experience and share to social page by tagging @ColorOfChange. The Pedestal ProjectInstagram Lens is activated via a mobile device on the Color Of Change Instagram page, at home, anytime. Color Of Change encourages people to go outside, safely, within their own communities to find empty pedestals where confederate symbols once stood. The AR experience is easy and immersive. Upon accessing the lens, users will be able to select from a gallery of statues, place it atop an empty pedestal, and, in the activists’ own voice, hear why change is worth fighting for. (Note: In Ventura County, there is an empty pedestal in front of Ventura’s City Hall, where a statue of Padre Serra was removed.)
Anytime – ONLINE – Sign the Black Lives Matter Petition.
- Impeach, convict, and ban Trump from future political office.
- Expel Republican members of Congress who attempted to overturn the election and incited a white supremacist attack.
- Launch full investigation into the ties between white supremacy and the Capitol Police, law enforcement, and the military (COUP Act).
- Permanently ban Trump from all digital media platforms.
- Defund the police.
- Don’t let the coup be used as an excuse to crack down on our movement.
- Pass the BREATHE Act.
Charge ALL the Capitol criminals!
Write a comment to the DOJ and copy to your legislators.
According to an article in the Hill, some officials are thinking of letting the “nonviolent insurrectionists” who invaded our Capitol walk with NO consequences. Tell the DOJ that ALL insurrectionists who entered our Capitol did so with the the intent to interfere with the lawful certification of Electoral College votes and should be charged with the appropriate federal crime – and there are several to choose from. See post here.
Black Lives Matter requests…
Click here for text and call scripts.
- Action #1: Tell Your Rep(s) to Support Rep. Cori Bush’s Resolution H.Res. 25
- Action #2: Support the COUP Act – Congressional Oversight of Unjust Policing Act
It’s National Thank a Mail Carrier Day! Tell Congress to strengthen the U.S. Postal Service
There is no more time to wait! D.C. statehood NOW! YES on H.R.51/S.51 and H.R.1/S.1.
Click here. DC’s residents have been struggling for over 200 years against the Jim Crow-era disenfranchisment of their rights to the legislative representation and self-governance that the rest of Americans enjoy. Now, after the insurrection, it’s clear that the GOP-controlled Senate’s non-action on statehood in 2020 had dangerous side effects.
Watch the videos included, click on some informational links, and wonder, like we did, how this blatantly racist situation still exists in the heart of our nation in the 21st century.
Let’s fix this on our watch. Contact your legislators and write postcards, and get your friends & family in red states to contact their legislators directly as well. It willl take a whole country of pressure to make this happen. (Updated post, with additional scripts for postcards for both sides of the aisle. A limited number of postcards will be printed for sharing, as well.)
Anti-Sedition Postcard Campaign – Flip the West
Link here. Miss postcarding? Here’s another campaign.”Join Flip the West’s rapid-response postcard campaign as we write to registered Democrats living in the California districts of Sedition Caucus members Kevin McCarthy, Mike Garcia, Doug LaMalfa, Jay Obernolte, Devin Nunes, Ken Calvert, and Darrell Issa.
We’re letting voters know their Congressman voted to throw out millions of legally cast votes and overturn another state’s election, and that we intend to vote them out of office in 2022. We email you a script targeting one of the Congressmen, plus names and addresses (minimum quantity 25). You supply your own postcards and stamps. (Click here: http://bit.ly/2K7pkFm, for info on buying postcards and stamps)”
Monday 1/11/21: Disbar the lawyer/legislators who helped set our country on fire!
Click here for lists of lawyer/legislators who violated their oaths, and “CUT and PASTE” letters to the national American Bar Association and all the state boards that have the power to disbar them.
Remove the whole eco-system of sedition.
- Action #1: Expel the lot of them for sedition. Seriously.
- Action #2: Cut the lawyers out of the herd. Disbar the lawyer/legislators (Cruz, Hawley, Brooks, etc.) who amplify Trump’s lies.
- Action #3: “YES” on the COUP Act to create a 9/11-commission to investigate the terrorist attack on the Capitol, including white supremacist ties to Capitol police. And legislators.
Click here for actions.
Call/Email your legislators – Protect established sacred land from corporate abuse.
We don’t put freeways through churches. Why allow a mine under Oak Flat?
Full action and call/email script here.
ACLU – How do we End Racism in Policing?
The ACLU has changed it’s mind! Instead of focusing on making police departments better, they are now firmly on the side of divesting functions, power and responsibilities from police departments and tranferring them to life-giving non-police-dependent alternatives. This video covers qualified immunity, police union influence, and use of force standards, as well as the big questions on how we can stop police from being such an outsized presence in Black communities. One example of redirection – the changeover from police transport of medical emergencies to ambulances, which took place in the 1960’s. Share all these resources with your friends and family, along with the ACLU’s series of short videos called “100 Years of Racism in Policing.”
Today’s video: Trump-ublicans are the Modern Confederates: Let’s not repeat 150-year old mistakes.
Link here. “Shadow President Trump, Cruz, Hawley, McCarthy, the Qanon congresswomen, etc – are the cultural reincarnations of the civil war confederates the union let off the hook 150 short years ago. We cannot afford to make the same mistakes. And the words of Frederick Douglass are ever more urgent.
147 Congress members committed treason when they voted to overthrow our democracy……Those 147 traitors who made every effort to subvert, stir, move and incite insurrection and rebellion against our country must be expelled from public office, tried and convicted in a court of law. Their sponsors, enablers and promoters must all face boycotts, and cancellations and be hauled into court on charges of sedition.
For the millions of descendants of African slaves and the survivors of Native American holocaust, for every citizen of our migrant nation, who believes in equality for all people, “It is for you to teach them that those who sow the wind must reap the whirlwind, that clemency and mercy to them would be cruelty and murder to the innocent and unborn.” In the words of Frederick Douglass, “If this was is to be forgotten, I ask in the name of all things sacred, what shall men remember? We must never forget that victory to the rebellion meant death to the Republic.”
Watch Party: BLACK LIVES MATTER, TREASON AND THE TIME FOR ACTION
1. Comparing BLM and capitol riots
2. MLK TAUGHT US: how to overcome racism and poverty
3. ROOSEVELT SHOWED US: how to defeat fascism and inequality
4. LINCOLN DEMONSTRATED: how to create a stimulus pkg
5. PRESIDENT JOHNSON failed to prosecute Robert E. Lee
This history is so important to know – and generally not shared in proper context in schools due to pressure and suppression from an anti-culture that is not sustainable and never was. The power and clarity derived from understanding these major events during the Civil War, WW2 and the civil rights movements cannot be over overstated. Hearing the words of MLK, James Baldwin, Roosevelt directly are healing and instructive on what we must stand for and what must never stand for — as individuals and a nation.”
(Click on the video link here if the “age restriction” shows)
Watch Party – NAACP leader on the importance of Black History Month
Watch Party – Split Screen/Split Realities: Nonviolent Protests vs. Violent Mobs
Watch Party – “Uninsured and Unhoused – Rep. Cory Bush Advocates Vaccine Education For Our Most Vulnerable”
Thurs 12/17: Carbon neutrality by 2045? CA has to move faster!
Full post here. Governor, 80 groups have asked you, based on science, to speed up our clean car mandate to meet state climate goals and the communities most harmed by fossils fuel pollution shouldn’t have to wait an extra five years to breathe clean air. I urge you to direct the CA Air Resources Board (CARB) to:
- Require 100% zero-emission vehicle sales by 2030 and a minimum 7% decrease in emissions each year from petroleum cars in the meantime.
- Create good jobs and ensure low-income communities of color benefit equitably from the transition.
- Start new clean car standards as soon as possible, no later than model year 2024.
In 1939, a ship, the St. Louis, came to our shores seeking asylum for 900 Jewish passengers fleeing their increasingly dangerous homeland. Shamefully, we turned them away and hundreds died upon their return. 80 years later, we need to demand better for those who seek safety here.
Fight Back! Write Back! Call the cowards out!
Post and actions here. For those who haven’t heard yet, SCOTUS just slammed the Texas lawsuit. But the damage has been done. Each legal action, especially this last one which involved over 100 GOP legislators and 18 attorney general, solidifies the fiction that the election is being stolen from Trump. A lingering sense of grievance is extremely dangerous to a functional democracy. Pull out your extra postcards, patriotic or kitties, doesn’t matter. Juice up your phone. It’s time to call these guys out for what they are – a danger to democracy.
Call your legislators. Call out Senator Lindsey Graham for election corruption.
Script and contact information here.
Send a comment to the lawyers in the firm suing over elections on Trump’s behalf.
(wapo) “Law is a profession, but these mega-law firms are also big businesses. Like any business, they can be held accountable by the public — and by their other customers — for how they choose to deploy their considerable resources. It’s not out of bounds to criticize those who agree to bring cases that could be so damaging to our democracy.“
Many lawyers in these large firms know these nuisance suits are wrong, possibly sanctionable, but at the very least embarassing, but their bosses are deeply intertwined with the Trump administration. But you can’t run a law office if everybody leaves. Information on who to write to and suggestions on what to say here.
Update: (guardian) Porter Wright Morris & Arthur firm, which brought a suit on Monday alleging that the use of mail-in ballots had created “an illegal two-tiered voting system” in the state, abruptly withdrew from that case in a memo to the court.
Sun 11/8: Finding elections more interesting than you thought? Join the Scrutineers!
Find out about interesting volunteer opportunities that go deeper into the working of our elections here.
Fight fossil fuel political dominance by reducing the need for it!
Ventura County is developing a 100-megawatt, 400-megawatt hour battery storage facility to replace the need for new natural gas-powered generation. So far, Ojai is the first and only city in our county who’s made a jump to gas source reduction with an all-electrica building code, though there are still discussions as to the extent of their ordinance.
“Cities and counties in California serve as guiding lights as the state navigates a transition from gas to clean-energy buildings. Motivated by the climate crisis, worsening air pollution, escalating gas rates, and safety risks from gas, a new cohort of local government leaders is emerging in California. Over 50 cities and counties across the state are considering policies to support all-electric new construction.
This blog summarizes the cities and counties that have already adopted gas-free buildings commitments or electrification building codes (i.e., “reach codes” that go beyond the statewide building code) and is regularly updated to reflect the latest wins in California. Ordinance language is also linked below.
Protect the US Postal Service, our election and basic democracy.
- ALL THE ACTIONS ARE HERE! Updated 9/2/2020
- Why is this sabotage happening?
- Where are we at right now with DeJoy and his co-conspirators – USPS Board of Governor Chair Robert Duncan, Treasury Sec. Steve Mnuchin, and Sen. Mitch McConnell?
- Sign the NAACP petition here. The NAACP has filed a federal lawsuit against the Postmaster General of the United States Postal Service for deliberately attempting to sabotage the U.S. Postal Service to obstruct voting by mail and to ensure a favorable outcome in the election.
Put pressure on the USPS Board of Governors and other actions described here.
Top 13 things you should know about our postal service! It is the leading employer of minorities (39%) and women (40%), and for three years in a row they were in Hispanic Business magazine’s annual “Diversity Elite 60” list of best companies for Hispanics, the only federal agency on the list. The USPS is also one of the largest employers of veterans, with more than 97,000.
📫 Tie a DARK BLUE RIBBON around your mailbox (or on your mail slot) to show solidarity and support to our postal carriers.
📫 Put a sign up in your yard or window that says #USPSForever.
📫 Call your representative and both senators and tell them not to pass any relief package that doesn’t contain funding for the USPS.
📫 And tell everyone who wants the Postal Service to survive to do the same.
CALL/Email Action!: Urge your legislators to vote “YES” on the “Breathe Act”
Bill summery here: “For decades, the federal government has incentivized mass criminalization through policies and funding programs that increase arrests, prison construction, hiring of police officers, and the militarization of police. This funding has fueled the violent over-policing of Black people, while leaving social services and basic infrastructure that actually keep people safe woefully underfunded. The BREATHE Act proposes policy and funding that upends this violent reality. Policy is one of many tools at our disposal, and with this bill, we are creating a national standard of civil rights that will bring our demands into reality. We are not interested in someone else’s version of what is politically possible. We are interested in defending Black lives.” The bill doesn’t appear to have a number yet. Articles about it here and here.
Join the We Must Do M.O.R.E. campaign here. (Mobilize, Organize, Register and Educate People for Movement that votes!) People are coming together to create a transformative moral agenda to fight systemic racism, poverty, ecological devastation, militarism and the war economy, and the false moral narrative of religious nationalism into a powerful moral fusion movement that votes!
Check out all our “Watch Party” videos here.
- Another powerful video to share with those who don’t understand what “Defund Police” means! (Use this link if the video below won’t play.)
- Recently added: Intersection of Race & Law Enforcement
- Recently added: “Resistance, Reconciliation,Reform – Part 2“
- Recently added: Beating Trump’s Fascism, How Fascism works
- Recently added: Is the US headed towards tyranny? The Rise of Tyranny.
- Recently added: The Leesburg Stockade Girls, Suppressed: The Fight to Vote – Full Film
- Recently added: “What defund the police” really means.
Kindness alert – Protect and thank your essential workers!
“Grocery workers say morale is at an all-time low: ‘They don’t even treat us like humans anymore.’
- Nice handout to give to store employees being threatened by anti-maskers. Keep some in your car or shopping bag!
- Wear a mask WITHOUT vents in the store. Don’t make them ask.
- Researchers latest information on most and least effective masks.
- Latest count: +130 grocery workers have died, +8,200 have tested positive for COVID.
New video to share with your friends: