Dec. 2: It’s a Biden/Harris Wednesday!
Vote Forward Letters, New Georgia Project, Emails re: election lawsuits & Parler, Call legislators – Pass HEROES!, Call NEWSOM – Listen to the CA Black Democratic Caucus!
- Trump Death Clock* here. Today’s number = 159,362
- (*deaths attributed to Trump’s inaction prior to 3/16/20)
- US COVID deaths = 269,192 (291,557 US soldiers died in WWII)
- Date Trump declares end of COVID pandemic = Oct. 27, 2020
- Number of new COVID cases today = 157,901, deaths = 1,172
(or “almost nothing” per Trump, Jr.)
Events/Actions happening today!
“Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; It must be demanded by the oppressed.” ~ MLK
- We’re putting up information on local protests and actions by others we’re finding from informal sources. These listings are not endorsements nor guarantees as to time/place/type of protest or participant safety. Events can and have already been cancelled without notice.
- UPCOMING EVENTS!
- NEED HELP? CAN YOU GIVE HELP? “Giving and receiving during this pandemic season.” – Volunteer and donation sites in Ventura County.
Wednesday – 12/02- ONLINE – “(Not) The Same: A Dialogue on Racial Reconciliation” (6:00 – 7:30pm PT)
- We’ll see the music video “The Same” by Christian Rap Artist “Theo Blue,” aka the Rev. Darren Hagood, Lead Pastor of the Long Beach Church of Christ.
- Rev. Darren/Theo will reflect on his video and dialogue about racial justice in the USA with friends, including the Rev. Benjamin Thomas of Bethel AME Church, Oxnard.
- We’ll then join breakout groups to discuss where we are personally in terms of racial justice work in our lives.
At the end, we’ll share how we can continue the work. People of faith and good will are ready to embrace this unprecedented moment in our nation’s history. Our ultimate goal is meaningful systemic change that redresses the centuries-long inequities. This is just a beginning of an important dialogue. We trust it will give clarity to what our actions must be in Ventura County and nationally. Join us on this journey!“
Wednesday – 12/02- ONLINE – “Supporting Your LGBTQ+ Child.” (5:30 – 6:30pm PT)
Click on this link to register. Please join CVUSD’s BreakThrough Student Assistance Program and the Conejo Schools Foundation for “Supporting Your LGBTQ+ Child” on Wednesday, December 2nd from 5:30-6:30 PM presented by Todd Walker, LCSW. This FREE event will provide parents/guardians with best practices, resources and tools to support the unique mental health needs of their LGBTQ+ children.
Todd is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 12 years of experience working with children, teens, and families in all levels of care. Todd also developed his own private practice and consulting firm, and has provided LGBTQ+ trainings to teachers, parents, and students in the neighboring communities of Los Angeles and Ventura County. Todd is a graduate of the University of Southern California’s Master in Social Work Program, where he completed a concentration in children and families as well as a sub-concentration in public child welfare. He received his Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology from California State University, Northridge.
Pick Reps. Barbara Lee or Karen Bass to take over Kamala Harris’ seat in the Senate.
- Action and call scripts here.
- Sign some petitions here.
- Other Supporters:
How to help encourage Georgia voters!
- “FAIR FIGHT” website here.
- Phonebanks (If you’ve never done this before – we’ve assembled a bunch of helpful and reassuring instructional videos to help us beginners, introverts and phone-phobes here.)
- SUNRISE MOVEMENT – Calls to young Georgians – training included: https://www.mobilize.us/sunrise/event/363816/
- FLIP THE WEST – Phonebanks Sun-Thurs until Jan. 5! Training included. Click here.
- CADEM SUNDAYS – Flip the Senate – Sundays through Jan. 5
- Mobilize events – https://www.mobilize.us/demcastfocusgeorgia/
- New Georgia Project: (11/23-12/1) https://www.mobilize.us/mobilize/event/363122/
- Indivisible SF: (11/23 – 12/7) https://www.mobilize.us/cpda/event/363574/
- People’s Action: (11/22 – 12/20) https://www.mobilize.us/crooked/event/293197/
- Sierra Club Phonebanks: https://www.mobilize.us/climatevoterga/
- Working Families Party: (Sat. Monday, Tuesday) https://www.mobilize.us/workingfamilies/event/363124/
- Grassroots Democrats Phonebanks:
- Make Calls for Reverend Raphael Warnock (Watch video)
- Make Calls for Jon Ossoff (Watch video)
- Make Calls for Daniel Blackman (Candidate for Public Service Commissioner. Watch video here.)
- Can’t decide who to volunteer for? Go to this inclusive event page. (https://www.mobilize.us/demcastfocusgeorgia/)
- Can’t decide who to donate to?: This Strategic ActBlue Fund (https://secure.actblue.com/donate/georgiagotv) allows you to donate to not only Warnock & Ossoff, but also to key BIPOC-led groups on the ground in GA, including Black Voters Matter, Fair Fight, GALEO, Georgia NAACP, The Black Male Voter Project and the Asian American Advocacy Fund.
- Black Lives Matter – Georgia campaign here.
- Black Voters Matter: Donate here.
- ACLU of Georgia – The civil liberties legal group is intensely involved in protecting Georgians’ voter rights both in courtrooms and at polling stations. Donate here.
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice Atlanta. Before the November 3 election, the nonpartisan group called 92% of Asian American and Pacific Islander voters in Georgia. They’ll do it again leading up to January. Donate here.
- NAACP Georgia. This nonpartisan branch is quite active in getting voters to the polls, including a partnership with Lyft to facilitate voting. Donate here.
- Galeo. A nonpartisan group building civic engagement in the Latino community. Their substantial voter registration arm aims to make sure that all eligible Latinos are both registered and turn out. Donate here.
- Mijente: (Focused on knocking every Latino voter door in the state) Donate here.
- The New Georgia Project. A well-regarded effort to register and engage voters, credited with enrolling over 500,000 people. Though officially a nonpartisan 501(c)3, NGP is associated with Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams. They will be out in force for the next two months. Donate here.
- Indivisibles in Georgia: (Doing No-Knock Lit. Drop Effort and other printed materials, will need funding for that effort) Donate here.
Postcard Option #1 – Postcards to Swing States
Update! We have reached our capacity, and we thank everyone who’s contacted us! But reaching our own limitations doesn’t mean you can’t help!
While we tussle with getting 17,500 postcards to their new homes, you can get started now by contacting Postcards to Swing States directly. The only difference is that you’ll be providing your own postcards and postage.
- Pick a quantity and buy your postcards here.
- “Postcards to Swing States” will email you voter addresses and instructions.
- Buy enough $0.35 postcard stamps.
- Write the short message as shown below below (We do LOTS of postcards!)
- Send on Dec. 26 – 28th.
Postcard Option #2 – Flip the West
“PLEASE NOTE – WE HAVE HAD AN EXCELLENT RESPONSE TO THIS POSTCARD CAMPAIGN. AS A RESULT, IT MAY TAKE US ABOUT A WEEK TO GET BACK TO YOU WITH NAMES AND A SCRIPT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR AMAZING ENTHUSIASM AND BOUNDLESS ENERGY!
Flip the West is sponsoring a postcard campaign in support of the two Democratic challengers for U.S. Senate in the Georgia runoff. These races will determine whether the Dems or Mitch McConnell control the U.S. Senate for the first 2 years of the Biden/Harris administration**.”
More information here.
Postcard Option #3 – Join the GOOD Club’s post campaign!
Postcard Option #4 – Join the Postcarding Project by non-partisan Election Defenders!
Sign up here. As you know, everything is on the line with the Georgia runoff on January 5th. Our goal is to send out 100,000 postcards to Georgia residents by next month encouraging them to vote and helping to request their absentee ballot. That number may seem like a lot, but with the Election Defenders, anything is possible!
After you sign up, we will:
- Send you 50 postcards by mail (you should receive them in the next two weeks).
- Send you scripts of what to write on your postcards (by email).
- Addresses for unlikely voters (by email).
By signing up you agree to:
- Send at least 50 postcards to voters in Georgia by December 18th.
- Buy stamps for your postcards. This will come out to around $25 dollars. Unfortunately we can’t pay for stamps at this time. If this presents a hardship, please let us know and we will help how we can!
- Drop your postcards in the mail by December 18th.
Letter Option #1 – Did you like doing “Vote Forward” letters? It’s back up for Georgia!
Vote Forward and Indivisible are now working together to increase civic participation by sending letters to voters. Indivisible can see the email addresses and info about the letter-writing activities of volunteers who sign up through this page. They use this information to measure their impact. They may also follow up with you by email.
Sign up here to volunteer.
For those who’ve never done this, don’t worry. Click here for their very clear instructions. Most of the letter is already written and printed out, with a space for you to add your own personal encouragement to a voter. You can easily choose how many voters you want to speak to and there are very clear instructions included in the link.
Letter Option #2 – Send Vote-by-mail letter to GA’s Forsyth south with Swing Left Greater Boston.
Sign up here. (Jessica Craven) They are sending absentee ballot request forms with a cover letter to Dem voters in GA. Everything gets printed from your home. They have a LOT of letters to do very quickly and they have evidence to prove this works. 50 letters takes about 2 hours to do. Mail by 11/23.
They will get details Saturday or Sunday, but they think you will need 50 envelopes, 50 stamps, and be able to print 100 sheets of paper.
Do you know people in Georgia?Ask them to pass this on through their social media.
Georgia voters, take a look at these important dates for Runoff Elections! Write them down. Set a reminder. The work is not over yet, we got this! #BlackVotersMatter.
Tell our do-nothing GOP-controlled Senate to do their job!
Suggested scripts to senators and information here.
Taking back our power during the holidays.
Click here for actions.
VENTURA COUNTY – “Giving and receiving during this pandemic season.”
Link here. Updating list of volunteer and donation opportunities and links for those who need help.
Monday – 11/23 – CAR CARAVAN – “Week of Mourning” – Watch it now and sign their petition.
- Facebook link here.
- Sign the petition here.
- PPC Digital Wall of Mourning Submission here.
- Thank you for submitting the name of a loved one whom you have lost to COVID-19 or poverty to the Poor People’s Campaign Digital Wall of Mourning. Your submission will be featured on our digital platform that will debut at the end of November, and the name of your loved one will be included in the National Eulogy broadcast on Monday evening and amplified throughout the Week of Mourning.)
On Monday, Nov. 23, the Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival began a “Week of Mourning” with Moral Monday caravans to mourn the nearly quarter-million Americans who have died from COVID-19, demand a smooth and open transition of power and lift up the moral policies we need immediately and in the first days of the new administration.
This Thanksgiving, a day already marked by many Indigenous peoples as a Day of Mourning, families across the country will remember and mourn the loss of loved ones who have died from COVID-19 and poverty. Millions of poor and low-income households also face mounting bills, evictions and hunger, after months of unemployment, cuts in wages, and the government’s failure to pass a comprehensive COVID-relief package.
BLM-VC Canned Food Drive – thru Mid-December.
Collecting until mid-December, Cajun County Cafe (665 S Ventura Voad, Oxnard) & Ray’s Exclusive Cuts (1051 Patterson Rd., Oxnard), or call 818-641-2396 to arrange pick up‼️organized by @blmventuracounty
NEW! The organizers also need personal hygiene items, as they would like to give out care packs to the unhoused people who come. Socks, masks, toothbrush, toilet paper, wet wipes, feminine hygiene products, etc…
Attn: CALL OUT TO ARTISTS!
#FreeTheChildren ATTN: CALL OUT TO ARTISTS!!!FREE THE CHILDREN is taking artist submissions for shareable art to keep the plight of separated children in the public eye.
Thanks to Edel Rodriquez for sending freethechildrenus.org another one of his excellent graphics available for all to share on This one is the second of 2. Feel free to copy and share this banner graphic to keep the travesty of separated children in the public eye.
You can download other banners by Edel, as well as other artists and share freely at the link below.
If you’re and artist who wants to create some art for other’s to freely share on our site, visit here to get more info on how to submit to Free the Children!
Call your legislators. Call out Senator Lindsey Graham for election corruption.
Script and contact information here.
Send a comment to the lawyers in the firm suing over elections on Trump’s behalf.
(wapo) “Law is a profession, but these mega-law firms are also big businesses. Like any business, they can be held accountable by the public — and by their other customers — for how they choose to deploy their considerable resources. It’s not out of bounds to criticize those who agree to bring cases that could be so damaging to our democracy.“
Many lawyers in these large firms know these nuisance suits are wrong, possibly sanctionable, but at the very least embarassing, but their bosses are deeply intertwined with the Trump administration. But you can’t run a law office if everybody leaves. Information on who to write to and suggestions on what to say here.
Update: (guardian) Porter Wright Morris & Arthur firm, which brought a suit on Monday alleging that the use of mail-in ballots had created “an illegal two-tiered voting system” in the state, abruptly withdrew from that case in a memo to the court.
Hate groups are moving from Facebook and Twitter to Parler, an Apple app.
Seriously, tell Tim Cook that if Apple wouldn’t let right-wing extremists like Alex Jones, play their poisonous podcasts on their platform, they shouldn’t be hosting an app that lets them do that and more.
Suggestion for how to get started writing Tim here, and an interesting article from the ACLU on how they look at free speech in the land of Limbaugh.
Read more about what’s on the Parler site here.
Call your legislator for an emergency hearing with Trump appointee GSA Administrator Emily Murphy.
Typically, the presidential transition process begins hours after a winner is declared, allowing the incoming administration ample time to take control of the executive branch of our government. The Administrator of the General Services Administration (GSA) begins the official transition process by filing paperwork, releasing nearly $10 million in Congressionally-allocated transitions funding to the new administration, and providing incoming officials access to everything from office space to government email addresses. However, Trump-appointed GSA Administrator Emily Murphy has yet to file transition paperwork and is refusing to provide a timeline for doing so. Enough of this petty stuff. We’re in the middle of a pandemic and Trump is destabilizing our military. Biden needs to start getting security briefings, at the very least.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] to urge Rep. [____] to call for emergency hearings with GSA Administrator Emily Murphy. Her refusal to begin the transfer of government to the new Biden-Harris administration is jeapardizing the safety and security of our nation.
- Rep. Julia Brownley: (CA-26): DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
- or Rep. Salud Carbajal: (CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
- Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
- and Senator Harris: email,DC (202) 224-3553, LA (310) 231-4494, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 981-9369, SD (619) 239-3884
- Other Rep Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com
- ADJUST THE SCRIPT A LITTLE and CONTACT the head and demand that they comply with federal policies and procedures for the transition of power.
- GSA Administrator Emily.Murphy@gsa.gov 1-844-472-4111
- GSA Deputy Administrator Allison.Brigati@gsa.gov
- Chief of Staff Robert.Borden@gsa.gov
- Commissioner Julie.Dunne@gsa.gov
- Commissioner Dan.Mathews@gsa.gov
There’s been another police shooting. Write an email to the VPD Police Chief.
Someday, we’ll be saying, “Remember the bad old days, when police used to shoot people?”
On Nov. 5th, the Ventura police shot and killed Javier Magana near the intersection of Seaward and Harbor in Ventura. SURJ VC protested this on Nov. 6th with signs and a banner. Details have been slow to emerge and are not specific of why he was shot, and whether or not the victim was armed at the time he was shot. There is no mention of de-escalation techniques, or use of any other non-deadly tactics to subdue the victim after the VPD disabled his car. They also deployed a BearCat vehicle to break the glass of the victim’s car.Link to articles here: VC StarLA Times.
You can contact the VPD Police Chief at email@example.com
Sun 11/8: Finding elections more interesting than you thought? Join the Scrutineers!
Find out about interesting volunteer opportunities that go deeper into the working of our elections here.
Fight fossil fuel political dominance by reducing the need for it!
Ventura County is developing a 100-megawatt, 400-megawatt hour battery storage facility to replace the need for new natural gas-powered generation. So far, Ojai is the first and only city in our county who’s made a jump to gas source reduction with an all-electrica building code, though there are still discussions as to the extent of their ordinance.
“Cities and counties in California serve as guiding lights as the state navigates a transition from gas to clean-energy buildings. Motivated by the climate crisis, worsening air pollution, escalating gas rates, and safety risks from gas, a new cohort of local government leaders is emerging in California. Over 50 cities and counties across the state are considering policies to support all-electric new construction.
This blog summarizes the cities and counties that have already adopted gas-free buildings commitments or electrification building codes (i.e., “reach codes” that go beyond the statewide building code) and is regularly updated to reflect the latest wins in California. Ordinance language is also linked below.
Democracy is stronger than Trump.
Push back against the panic and the hype. Let’s assume the best and that our votes alone will sweep this criminal administration from office. We’ve working on all sorts of possibilities as a community of activists, but we want voting against this tyrant to be jubilent and joyful.
Join NAACP’s campaign!
- Opinion: Voter fraud myth a Trojan Horse for voter suppression.
- NAACP President says this election is the most important in a century.
- Election Protection: A Call to Action for the Black Community.
Protect the US Postal Service, our election and basic democracy.
- ALL THE ACTIONS ARE HERE! Updated 9/2/2020
- Why is this sabotage happening?
- Where are we at right now with DeJoy and his co-conspirators – USPS Board of Governor Chair Robert Duncan, Treasury Sec. Steve Mnuchin, and Sen. Mitch McConnell?
- Sign the NAACP petition here. The NAACP has filed a federal lawsuit against the Postmaster General of the United States Postal Service for deliberately attempting to sabotage the U.S. Postal Service to obstruct voting by mail and to ensure a favorable outcome in the election.
Put pressure on the USPS Board of Governors and other actions described here.
Top 13 things you should know about our postal service! It is the leading employer of minorities (39%) and women (40%), and for three years in a row they were in Hispanic Business magazine’s annual “Diversity Elite 60” list of best companies for Hispanics, the only federal agency on the list. The USPS is also one of the largest employers of veterans, with more than 97,000.
📫 Tie a DARK BLUE RIBBON around your mailbox (or on your mail slot) to show solidarity and support to our postal carriers.
📫 Put a sign up in your yard or window that says #USPSForever.
📫 Call your representative and both senators and tell them not to pass any relief package that doesn’t contain funding for the USPS.
📫 And tell everyone who wants the Postal Service to survive to do the same.
Black2thefuture.org – (3) Actions – HEROES ACT, PETITION, SOCIAL MEDIA
Indivisible Ventura has long admired this group’s “The Black Agenda 2020,” ( shorter summary here). Its principles for a just and thriving environment for the Black Community would also help the 40% of all Americans who are struggling to survive on crumbs from the tables of robber-barons and tattered safety nets. Their great “Covid-19 Relief and Recovery Plan for Black America” online resistance package can be completed in 10 minutes or less. Click here for their action package, which includes:
- HEROES ACT – CALL/EMAIL: Even if you’ve already called your senators to pass the HEROES Act before, it time to do it again with black2thefutures’s terrific script. (Nice explainer here) (The House passed their version on May 15th and the same GOP who slipped a $135 BILLION dollar giveaway to the wealthy into the CARES Act, are embracing austerity for the rest of us. For convenience, we’re including their contacts below.) Contact: https://whoismyrepresentative.com (put in your zip code)
- HEROES ACT – Petition: Sign their petition here.
- Share on your social media: Download their HEROES Act Toolket with graphics and videos.
CALL/Email Action!: Urge your legislators to vote “YES” on the “Breathe Act”
Bill summery here: “For decades, the federal government has incentivized mass criminalization through policies and funding programs that increase arrests, prison construction, hiring of police officers, and the militarization of police. This funding has fueled the violent over-policing of Black people, while leaving social services and basic infrastructure that actually keep people safe woefully underfunded. The BREATHE Act proposes policy and funding that upends this violent reality. Policy is one of many tools at our disposal, and with this bill, we are creating a national standard of civil rights that will bring our demands into reality. We are not interested in someone else’s version of what is politically possible. We are interested in defending Black lives.” The bill doesn’t appear to have a number yet. Articles about it here and here.
Join the We Must Do M.O.R.E. campaign here. (Mobilize, Organize, Register and Educate People for Movement that votes!) People are coming together to create a transformative moral agenda to fight systemic racism, poverty, ecological devastation, militarism and the war economy, and the false moral narrative of religious nationalism into a powerful moral fusion movement that votes!
Check out all our “Watch Party” videos here.
- Another powerful video to share with those who don’t understand what “Defund Police” means! (Use this link if the video below won’t play.)
- Recently added: Intersection of Race & Law Enforcement
- Recently added: “Resistance, Reconciliation,Reform – Part 2“
- Recently added: Beating Trump’s Fascism, How Fascism works
- Recently added: Is the US headed towards tyranny? The Rise of Tyranny.
- Recently added: The Leesburg Stockade Girls, Suppressed: The Fight to Vote – Full Film
- Recently added: “What defund the police” really means.
Kindness alert – Protect and thank your essential workers!
“Grocery workers say morale is at an all-time low: ‘They don’t even treat us like humans anymore.’
- Nice handout to give to store employees being threatened by anti-maskers. Keep some in your car or shopping bag!
- Wear a mask WITHOUT vents in the store. Don’t make them ask.
- Researchers latest information on most and least effective masks.
- Latest count: +130 grocery workers have died, +8,200 have tested positive for COVID.
New video to share with your friends: